The call will support research projects concerned with biocatalysis, i.e. the chemical transformation catalyzed by one or multiple enzymes in any form, and platforms enabling the discovery, application and optimization of biocatalysts.
Please note: Submission deadline for the call «Research Projects» was July 31st, 2017.
Seven projects were selected for funding, more information will be available shortly
Call "Research Projects"
The call will support projects concerned with biocatalysis, i.e. the chemical transformation catalyzed by one or multiple enzymes in any form, and platforms enabling the discovery, application and optimization of biocatalysts.
- Process design of biocatalytic reactions or enzyme production processes
- Improvement of enzyme scope, robustness and production cost
- Novel biocatalytic transformations (e.g. implementation of underexploited enzyme families, cascade reactions, improved cofactor recycling, enzyme repurposing)
- Generic chassis strain development
- Acceleration of biocatalytic route development (e.g. via bioretrosynthesis, HTS screening methods, smart enzyme library design)
- New applications in biocatalysis (e.g. biopolymers with new properties, functionalization of surfaces, cell free protein expression, diagnostics)
Submitting a Proposal
Proposals must be written in English and contain the following information and documents:
- one page summary of the research project including clear description of objectives pertinent to the call
- project description (5 pages) covering
- Current state of research and innovation in the fields
- Innovative potential of the proposed project beyond the state of art including potential applications in industrial biocatalysis and economic and/or societal impact
- Detailed project plan with goals, methodology, approach and outcomes
- Timeline, milestones and deliverables indicating complementary and expected synergies between collaborators (maximum 1 page)
- Budget (1page)
- CV of the applicant(s) (maximum 1 page per applicant)
- Letter of support from an authorized signatory of host institute confirming 50:50 co-financing of the project by the hosting research institute.
The evaluation and monitoring of projects within this call will be carried out by the Working Group "Research Projects".
The panel is composed of members from Swiss Universities of Applied Sciences, Universities and ETHs as well as industry representatives. Further representatives can be called in depending on the expertise needed to evaluate the proposals submitted in that particular call.
The Working Group will evaluate submitted proposals, rank projects according to their value, and prepare recommendations to the Scientific Board, who has the final decision on funding.
During the program the Working Group will monitor project progress and make recommendations about continuation of the projects.