Geography of Food Research Group
Our food system is facing major challenges that require fundamental transformations on the production and consumption side. With our work, we want to help shape the food system of the future locally and globally and strengthen resilience, sustainability and diversity in the system. As an interdisciplinary team, we combine natural and social science perspectives. We research and develop possible solutions from farm to fork.
Our competencies in the food system include:
- Qualitative and quantitative social research on sustainability assessment and systems analysis.
- Concept development for sustainability transformation at the individual and societal level
- Participatory methods for developing and evaluating transformative processes
- Spatial suitability analyses for sustainable production systems and niche cultures
- Foresight studies and scenario development
- Value chain mapping, analysis and design
- Awareness raising and education through scientainment and gamification
The Geography of Food research group leads several modules in the Bachelor's programme in Natural Resource Sciences and the Master's programme in Environment and Natural Resorces.
We also offer an exciting e-learning: "Designing sustainable food systems"
Agriculture and climat change
Assessment and development of agro-ecological approaches to climate change mitigation and adaptation
Regional food systems
Analysis of regional food systems and value chains, and development of future scenarios
Development of strategies for more sustainable consumption decisions and label assessments
Education & Scientainment
Raising awareness through gamification, implementation concepts for sustainability in the food system
The Geography of Food Research Group is interdisciplinary and international. Below you will find a list of the current partners.