Fields of research
R&D at the Institute focuses on seven fields of research
- Energy demand is continuously increasing; fossil fuels are finite
- The share of renewables in total energy consumption needs to be increased
- More powerful technologies are helping to conserve natural resources
In the area of short- and medium-term forecasts on energy production from alternative sources, energy consumption and energy distribution, the IAS uses modelling and simulation to help implement the ‘energy transition’.
Reference project (Innosuisse): Predictive - Prescriptive Analytics for Emission & Combustion Monitoring Agents in Gas Turbine Combined Cycle Power Plants
- The population is growing
- The average age of the population is increasing
The IAS is carrying out groundbreaking research into issues facing the agricultural, food and health care industries. The development of intelligent control for urban farming and of expert and forecasting systems in hospitals is also part of the IAS's work, as is bioinformatics, which contributes to medicine and to agriculture at molecular level.
Reference project (Innosuisse): Comprehensive Sales Forecasting
- Distances travelled are constantly increasing
- Distances need to be "shortened" through intelligent solutions
In the framework of national research projects, the IAS has made contributions to congestion reduction and forecasting, as well as tour and transport planning. This also includes questions of site selection and the distribution of goods.
Reference project (Bundesamt für Strassen): Stauprognoseverfahren und -systeme
- For the first time in history, more people are living in cities than in the countryside
- Urban agglomerations are growing
In Switzerland, two thirds of the population are already living in cities. The associated infrastructural demands are opening up enormous potential for businesses. To ensure continuous economic development and to increase competitiveness, it is vital to develop the infrastructure of urban areas. For this purpose, knowledge management is becoming a central task for sustainable development in fields such as efficient energy and telecommunications networks, roads, water supply and disposal systems. The IAS develops solutions which map expert knowledge in the form of rules that allow communication with smart information systems.
Reference project (Innosuisse): Network-based urban mobility mapping for Smart Cities
- Demand is rising, while global industrial production is steadily increasing
- More and more people want access to better products
Logistical costs currently account for between 5% and 15% of companies' total sales. The IAS has more than 20 years' experience in the implementation of sustainable and lean logistics solutions, using logistics simulation and optimisation algorithms.
Reference project (Innosuisse): Generisches Simulations- und Planungstool für Lackieranlagen
- People are living longer
- People want to enjoy life fully until an advanced age
In the field of complex biomedical systems, the IAS is working on options for the early detection of aneurysms. As one of the leading institutes at universities of applied sciences currently working in the fields of applied bioinformatics and computational genomics, the IAS carries out research into molecular structures and interactions for use in medical applications.
Reference projects (SystemsX.ch and SNF): AneuX / Fast joint estimation of alignment and phylogeny from genomics sequences in a frequentist framework
Big Data & knowledge
- Volume: Companies have to deal with increasingly large amounts of data
- Variety: Different data structures or unstructured data
- Velocity: Constantly increasing speeds are required for the transmission and analysis of data
Knowledge is rapidly becoming the strategic success factor for companies, while the transformation of data into productive knowledge remains a major challenge. Internationally recognised specialists at the IAS assist clients in selecting, processing and evaluating their company's data and its integration into external data clusters, with the aim of generating knowledge.
Reference project (Innosuisse): Entwicklung eines auf Bayes Netzwerken basierenden Expertensystems und seiner Anwendung in einer konkreten Marktsituation