Research at the School of Applied Linguistics
Language matters. At the School of Applied Linguistics, we research the key role played by language and communication, enabling practitioners and society at large to reap practical benefits from linguistics.
The two strategic areas of energy research and societal integration shape the ZHAW research agenda, and the School of Applied Linguistics incorporates related topics into its own projects and labs. For example:
- Swiss-AL, a web corpus of Swiss sources, has been compiled by the School of Applied Linguistics and is used by researchers and students to conduct data-supported and data-driven research on public discourses in multilingual Switzerland, including monitoring the energy discourse.
- In the Accessible Communication Lab, our researchers collaborate with service providers, target group representatives and relevant associations to develop practical, needs-based solutions. These draw on well-established research about communication modes that foster societal inclusion for everyone.
In the professorships at the School of Applied Linguistics, we conduct research on language use in domain-specific communication, language-mediated cross-domain communication and media-mediated public communication.
- German as a Foreign/Second Language (Prof. Dr. Liana Konstantinidou)
- Digital Linguistics (Prof. Dr. Philipp Dreesen, Prof. Dr. Cerstin Mahlow)
- Language for Special Purposes and Knowledge Transfer (Prof. Dr. Felix Steiner)
- Intercultural Studies and Linguistic Diversity (Prof. Dr. Christiane Hohenstein)
- Language Management and Globalisation (Prof. Dr. Patrick Studer)
- Language Competence and Knowledge Development (Prof. Dr. Jörg Keller Paul)
- Applied Discourse Studies (Prof. Dr. habil. Ulla Kleinberger)
- Accessibility Studies (Dr. Sarah Ebling)
- Interpreting Studies (Prof. Dr. Michaela Albl-Mikasa)
- Human–Machine Communication (Dr. Alice Delorme Benites, Dr. Samuel Läubli)
- Technical Communication (Prof. Dr. Dipl.-Ing. Catherine Badras)
- Translation Studies (Dr. Caroline Lehr)
- Journalism Studies (Prof. Dr. Vinzenz Wyss)
- Media Literacy (Prof. Dr. Guido Keel)
- Media Linguistics (Prof. Dr. Aleksandra Gnach, Prof. Dr. Wibke Weber)
- Organisational Communication and Management (Prof. Dr. Nicole Rosenberger Staub)
- Organisational Communication and Public Spheres (Prof. Dr. Peter Stücheli-Herlach)
The labs at the School of Applied Linguistics bring researchers in the professorships together with stakeholders from all areas of society. These experts from academia and professional practice collaborate to develop innovative and sustainable solutions for the benefit of society.
The augmented interpreter- a pilot study on the usability of augmented reality in interpreting
Simultaneous interpreting depends on auditory and visual information. This pilot study investigates whether a seamless integration of visual and auditory information, achieved by displaying translations of technical terms on augmented reality glasses (AR), can lower cognitive load in interpreting. ...
Accessibility of ZHAW Webpages
Experience the Consequences of Affective Computing - Immersive Science Fiction Prototyping for Responsible Innovation
Since future applications and consequences of Affective Computing are still vague and hard to imagine, we rely on Science Fiction (ScFi) Prototyping as a central method for our communication concept. A SciFi Prototype allows the target group, adolescents and young adults, to experience a fictional future life with ...