Master in Physiotherapy
The MSc in Physiotherapy is a postgraduate degree with clinical specialisation and scientific orientation.
- You advance your knowledge, clinical expertise and applied research methods
- You network through internships in future professional fields of work
- You learn different perspectives and new ways of thinking from renowned Swiss and foreign lecturers
- You will be well-equipped to meet new challenges in the area of health care
- A variety of professional opportunities will be opened up, including the opportunity to study for a doctorate (PhD)
- Persons with a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Physiotherapy from a Swiss or foreign university with a minimum of 180 ECTS credit points and a professional qualification; or, with a recognized, equivalent qualification in physiotherapy (physiotherapy diploma, subsequent title acquisition NTE and proof of experience in scientific work amounting to 5 ECTS credit points)
- Proof of experience in scientific work amounting to 5 ECTS credit points
- Very good knowledge of English and German
- Employment: an occupational employment between 30% and 60% is recommended
The master’s degree has a modular structure within five competence areas: clinical or non-clinical specialisation, advanced practice, research methodology, transfer modules and a master’s thesis.
The part-time study of six semesters duration is awarded 90 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) points. Professional employment of some 30 to 60 percent is recommended to achieve the optimal combination of theory and practice.
In the clinical focus areas of musculoskeletal, sport and paediatrics, the modules will advance knowledge and practical skills in diagnostics, therapy and the prevention of disease-related problems relevant to physiotherapy. The modules of the non-clinical focus area of professional development teach you how evidence-based physiotherapeutic treatment concepts, assessments and interventions are developed and implemented in practice.
Development of the Profession
|Muskuloskeletal with OMT-Title||as 2020||as 2021|
The advanced practice modules prepare students for future roles as an Advanced Practice Physiotherapist. You will also extend your knowledge and skills in communications, public relations and consultation in various roles and settings.
The modules in this area impart in-depth knowledge of clinical research methods in the physiotherapeutic, medical, interdisciplinary and professional contexts. You will work with our practice partners on research projects in the Research Ethics and Internship modules and absolve a course on Good Clinical Practice.
In the Transfer Module 1, you have the choice between completing a second research internship, an internship on professional development, or a clinical internship.
In the optional Transfer Module 2, you will learn about the daily roles and activities of Advanced Practice Physiotherapists at home and abroad.
The master’s thesis is an independent scientific work, either within an ongoing project or on a self-chosen topic. Based on an issue relevant to physiotherapy, you will apply your knowledge and skills acquired during your studies. The master’s thesis should be presented at congresses and published in professional journals whenever possible.
«Complexity of patient situations and economic challenges characterie our daily lives. I rely on the skills of MSc physiotherapists to specify and develop effective physiotherapeutic inventions in the acute hospital»
Christine Meier Zürcher, Head of Physiotherapy Occupational Therapy USZ (PEU), University Hospital Zurich
The MSc combined with a clinical focus is an important building block in fulfilling the future role of Advanced Practice Physiotherapist (APP). All focus areas enable a broad range of prospects for new activities. Graduates can:
- In their capacity as a physiotherapy expert (APP), independently assess and treat complex clinical problems in a broad theoretical context, and to further develop them according to needs and requirements
- As the responsible specialist, make new clinically relevant knowledge available to practice for example, through the development and implementation of evidence-based clinical treatment concepts
- Teach on undergraduate and continuing education programmes
- Be active in research and assist in the planning, acquisition, implementation and publication of research Projects
- Advance their academic career through a doctorate (PhD)
Students graduate from the MSc programme in Physiotherapy at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences with the federally-recognised title “Master of Science UAS Zurich in Physiotherapy”. **The course structure is based on the Bologna system, making the MSc recognised in Europe and facilitating mobility on the job market internationally.
* ZFH = Zürcher Fachhochschule / ** UAS Zurich = University of Applied Sciences Zurich
Once graduated, students have acquired the basis for a further academic career: an MSc ZFH permits study for a PhD and opens the doors to future options in research and teaching. Many universities abroad offer PhDs, the entry criteria for applicants are country-specific. In Switzerland, physiotherapists with an MSc are accepted on the PhD programmes offered by several of the universities, among which the «Care and Rehabilitation Sciences at the University of Zurich warrants particular mention. The programme has been provided in cooperation with ZHAW since 2018 and is open to all health studies applicants with a degree from a university of applied sciences. During the programme, students hone and develop their research skills and conduct, under supervision, an extensive research project.
At a glance
Degree: Master of Science UAS Zurich in Physiotherapy
Workload: 90 ECTS credits
Duration of study: 6 semesters
Course structure: Part-time, with professional employment
Start of the course: In September each year, calendar week 38
Registration deadline: In Spring each year
Teaching location: Winterthur
Language of instruction: German and English
Tuition fees: CHF 720 semester fees + additional study expenses