Master degree in Midwifery
«Midwives with a Master of Science can assume new roles and tasks in interprofessional teams where they can further develop their clinical practice and theoretical knowledge in an evidence-based and needs-oriented way to guarantee high quality obstetrical care.»
Dr. Astrid Krahl, Head of Master of Science Midwifery
The ZHAW-Master of Science program enables midwives to complete the consecutive Master's degree as a part-time or a full-time study.
- The master degree programme is designed to prepare midwives for new roles and competencies in specialised practice, research and teaching.
- Midwives with a Master of Science in Midwifery are in high demand as professional experts, researchers and lecturers to develop solutions to current and future challenges in interdisciplinary obstetrical healthcare with user involvement.
- The Master of Science in Midwifery meets today’s professional requirements as well as the needs of women and their families. The degree is internationally recognised and opens up diverse career paths and paves the way to a PhD at universities at home and abroad.
- Bachelor in Midwifery from a home or foreign university
- College degree in midwifery with additional qualifications (i.e. holders of qualifications awarded in the 1990s by professional colleges that later became universities of applied sciences may contact the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) to obtain a UAS title on the basis of their previously awarded qualifications).
- Good knowledge of scientific work and clinical assessment
- Good knowledge of German and English
- You ensure evidence-driven transfer of knowledge into practice.
- You provide care and assistance to women with special needs and support their mental, social and physical health.
- You support your colleagues in complex obstetrical situations and with questions of ethics.
- You promote the physiological course of pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period.
- You guide quality circles and case discussions.
- You develop, implement and evaluate projects, concepts, new care models and care pathways.
You provide evidence-based content in research and development and teaching, you initiate and evaluate the further development of the profession on a practical and scientific level.
- You organise interdisciplinary and interprofessional continuing education.
- You strengthen collaboration with clinical placement providers.
- You collaborate in research projects and spread subject-specific knowledge.
- You develop scientific fundamentals for the development and evaluation of new care models.
- You help to promote the quality of obstetrics and midwifery to provide the best possible care for women, children and families.
Midwives in a leadership position may shape the quality of care for women and their families as well as working conditions of employees.
- You initiate projects to improve perinatal care on the basis of scientific findings.
- You integrate suggestions from your team as well as economic and interprofessional aspects in your development efforts.
- You are involved in a professional or social organisation at social and political level for women and family-oriented development in health policy.
At a glance
Degree: Master of Science ZFH in Midwifery
Workload: 90 ECTS
Duration of study: part-time over six semesters, full-time over four semesters
Start of the course: September (calendar week 38)
Registration deadline: April 30th
Language of instruction: German, English
Tuition fees: CHF 720 per semester