Institute of Signal Processing and Wireless Communications (ISC)
In teaching and applied research & development (R&D), the ISC focuses on the following main topics
- «Sensor Electronics – Radio Frequency Technology»
- «Communications Engineering – Wireless Communications»
- «Digital Signal Processing – Image Processing».
We support knowledge and technology transfer in signal-based information processing, especially when it comes to the development of innovative products in the I4.0, IoT, photonics, medical technology, measurement technology and sensor technology.
We have a new and modern laboratory infrastructure for sophisticated R&D work. Our team of more than 30 experienced and qualified engineers is looking forward to your questions. These can be carried out in the context of bachelor or master's theses, in workshops, or as joint R&D projects - in some cases with the help of funding.
The field of activity includes the design of adequate hardware for analog signal processing up to the highest frequencies.
The field of activity includes R&D work for communication and localization, from low-rate, low-power applications for IoT and I4.0 to high-rate data links.
- RFID, NFC, Bluetooth (BLE, 4.x, 5.x, 5.1 AoA/AoD
- WLAN, WiFi
- LoRa (169/868 MHz/2.4GHz, ranging), sub 1-GHz, LPWAN
- UWB (RTLS, TDoA, Radar)
- Avionics (e.g. ADS-B, FLARM)
- mobile com (4G/LTE Advanced, NB-IoT, LTE-M, 5G)
- GNSS (GPS/Galileo, RTK)
- radar (X-/K-band/mm-wave, FMCW, MIMO)
- software defined radio (SDR, Rx und Tx, GNU radio)
- radio propagation simulation (Radio Mobile)
- div. communication (e.g underwater, POF, Power-Line(PDF 454,8 KB))
The field of activity includes the development of solutions for processing radio, measurement, sensor, geo, bio, voice, audio, image and video signals.
- classical DSV (FFT, filter, multirate)
- stochastic DSV (LMS, RLS, Kalman)
- digital image processing
- computer vision (stereovision, 3D-profilometry, SLAM)
- DNN-based classification
- Matlab/Python simulations.
- efficient algorithms for FPGA, MCU/DSP, GPU, CPU.
The ISC is responsible for various modules in the areas of «Electricity EL1 & EL2», «Electronics EK1 & EK2», «Optoelectronics OPTEL», «Signals&Systems SiSy», «Digital Signal Processing DSV1 & DSV2», «Image Processing DIP» and «Wireless Communications WCOM1 & WCOM2».
In cooperation with industrial partners, we carry out project or bachelor theses with the students every semester.
The MSE Switzerland is a practice-oriented cooperation master of the seven Swiss universities of applied sciences and is aimed at students with a very good bachelor's degree. At ISC you can complete the MSE on a full- or part-time basis in the profiles «Electrical Engineering», «Computer Science» or «Photonics» if you are interested in one or more of our focal R&D topics.
The ISC offers the following continuing education courses at the ZHAW - School of Engineering:
- WBK Digital Signal Processing
- WBK Radio Frequency Technology