Prof. Dr. Jörg Osterrieder
Position at the ZHAW
Professor of Finance and Risk Modelling
* Member of the Management Committee "Mathematics for Industry" (COST Action TD1409) for Switzerland (2015 - )
* Reviewer for multiple academic journals (2014 - )
* Reviewer for Annals of Operations Research (Springer)
* Reviewer for Journal of Banking and Finance (since 2018)
* Reviewer for Empirical Economics (Springer, since 2018)
* Associate Editor of the Journal "Digital Finance" (Springer)
* Co-Editor, Special Issue on "Cryptocurriences" in "Digital Finance"
* External examiner for PhD thesis of Rui Li (Dep. of Statistics, Manchester University, UK)
Professional development teaching
Expertise and research interests
Quantitative Risk Management, Automation, Digitalization and industrialization of the finance industry, financial mathematics, algorithmic trading, portfolio management, Fintech
PhD ETH Zürich (Financial Mathematics)
Master of Science Mathematics
Diplom Business and Mathematics
2012 - 2014: Man Investments
2012 - 2012: Credit Suisse Group, Senior Vice President, Member of Senior Management
2009 - 2012: Goldman Sachs
2007 - 2009: Merill Lynch
2002: The Boston Consulting Group
2001: Oliver Wyman
Talks and Conferences:
• 11th Conference on Computational and Financial Econometrics (CFE 2017), University of London, 16 December, 2017, “Trend-following strategies for currency markets”
• Crypto-Currencies in a Digital Economy, Einstein Center Digital Future, TU Berlin, November 16, 2017, “Cryptocurrencies – Not for the faint-hearted”
• FinTech Innovation Conference, Zurich, March 2017, "Cryptocurrencies and risk management challenges"
• Fintech Workshop, London, January 2017, "Actus - A unified standard for modelling financial contracts"
• Best paper award for the paper "Statistics of Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies", International Conference on Economics, Finance and Statistics, Hong Kong, January 2017
• Keynote Speaker International Conference on Economics, Finance and Statistics, Hong Kong, January 2017
• Algorithmic Trading - The Rise of the Machines (for Experts), Thursday, September 15, 2016, Swiss Finance Institute Breakfast Seminar with Dr. Jörg Osterrieder
• Algorithmischer Handel - ein Überblick aus der Sicht der Praxis, Mittwoch, 7. September, 2016
• Algorithmic Trading, internal talk at UBS talk
• Invited talk at the Conference: "Creating and Combining Alpha Streams from Big Data", Research Symposium London, November 19, 2015, Ravenpack
• Moderation of the Conference "Alpha Trader Forum (ATF)", May 2017, participants were heads of trading from Germany, Switzerland, Austria, dach.buysideintel.com
• Finalist teaching award 2016, "Förderung vernetzten Denkens":
Membership of networks
- Bachelier Finance Society
- Alumni Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- Schweizerische Mathematische Gesellschaft
- European Mathematical Society
- International Engineering and Technology Institute
- European Finance Association
- American Finance Association
- European Workshops in Finance / Project leader / Project ongoing
- Big Data Analytics Research / Project leader / Project ongoing
- EU H2020 - Financial Supervision and Technology Compliance Training Programme / Project leader / Project ongoing
- Digitales Immobilien Dossier (DIGIM) / Project co-leader / Project ongoing
- Currency hedging for SMEs and pension funds / Project leader / Project ongoing
- Swisscom E-Signatur TP Technik / Project leader / Project ongoing
- Mathematics and Fintech: The next revolution in the digital transformation of the finance industry / Project leader / Project ongoing
- Blockchain-based model to enhance the financing of fairtrade producers / Team member / Project completed
- 3rd European COST Conference on Mathematics for Industry in Switzerland / Project leader / Project completed
- Blockchain and Virtual Currencies / Project leader / Project completed
- Large Scale Data-Driven Financial Risk Modelling / Team member / Project completed
- 2nd European COST Conference on Mathematics for Industry in Switzerland / Project leader / Project completed
- Vernetztes Denken als Erfolgsfaktor für ein ganzheitliches Verständnis von globalen Finanzmärkten / Project leader / Project completed
- Swissnex Research Stay New York / Project leader / Project completed
- 1st European COST Conference on Mathematics for Industry in Switzerland / Project leader / Project completed
- Quantitative trading strategies / Project leader / Project completed
- Long historical data for futures / Project leader / Project completed
- Automation and industrialization of quantitative research / Project leader / Project completed
- RENERG2 - RENewable enERGies in future energy supply / Team member / Project completed
Osterrieder, Jörg; Lorenz, Julian,
Annals of Financial Economics.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1142/S2010495217500038
Osterrieder, Jörg; Strika, Martin; Lorenz, Julian,
International finance and banking.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-5509
Chu, Jeffrey; Chan, Stephen; Nadarajah, Saralees; Osterrieder, Jörg,
Journal of risk and financial management.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-4795
2017 International Conference on Economics, Finance and Statistics (ICEFS 2017).
2017 International Conference on Economics, Finance and Statistics, Hong Kong, 14-15 January 2017.
Advances in Economics, Business and Management Research (AEBMR) ; 26.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-4794
Rohrbach, Janick; Suremann, Silvan; Osterrieder, Jörg,
International Finance eJournal.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2949379
Fritzmann, Siro; Jaggi, David; Osterrieder, Jörg,
International Finance eJournal.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2993902
o Jörg Osterrieder & Thorsten Rheinländer, 2006. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Diverse Markets via a Non-equivalent Measure Change", Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 287-301, July.
o Jörg Osterrieder, 2007. “Arbitrage, the Limit Order Book and Market Microstructure
Aspects in Financial Market Models”, Diss. ETH No. 17121.
o Jörg Osterrieder & Julian Lorenz, 2008. “Simulation of a Limit Order Driven Market”, The Journal of Trading, Winter 2008.