Prof. Dr. Leonardo Manfriani
Position at the ZHAW
Professor of Aircraft Systems and Aerodynamics, Bachelor Course in Aviation
Professional development teaching
Expertise and research interests
Aerodynamic design, Wind tunnel testing, Flight mechanics, Performance, Flight Simulation, Flight testing, Aircraft Certification
MSc Aerospace Engineering, 1981, Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
Diploma in Applied Fluid Dynamics, 1981, Von Karman Institute (Belgium)
Aeritalia/Aermacchi/Embraer AM-X program, EADS Eurofighter program: aerodynamic data analysis
Pilatus PC-12 program: preliminary weight and centre of gravity estimation, aerodynamic design of the wing, flaps and horizontal tail, wind tunnel testing, flight testing and certification (flying qualities and performance)
Pilatus PC-7 MkII and PC-9M programs: aerodynamic improvements, flight testing and certification (flying qualities and performance)
Pilatus PC-21 program: aerodynamic design, wind tunnel testing, flight testing and certification (flying qualities and performance)
Development of a flexible and efficient engineering flight simulator
Pilatus PC-12/47 program (max. take off weight increase): technical program management
Pilcatus PC-24 program: Certification Verification Engineer (CVE)
Membership of networks
- Schweizerische Vereinigung für Flugwissenschaften
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences
- Pilatus Certification Verification ENgineer / Project leader / Project ongoing
- Structural Integrity for Ageing Airplanes using Damage Toleramce Analysis / Team member / Project completed
- AGILE Wind Tunnel Testing / Project leader / Project completed
- RECREATE / Project leader / Project completed
- Winglet optimization for the Grob G180 SPn business jet / Project leader / Project completed
RAeS Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Bristol (UK), 2012.
ICAS 2018 : congress proceedings, belo horizonte, brazil, september 09-14, 2018.
31st Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, September 09-14, 2018.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-3345
Manfriani, Leonardo; Righi, Marcello,
RAeS Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Bristol (UK), 2014.
Design for spin [paper].
ICAS Congress, Hamburg, September 2006.
Guillaume, Michel; Manfriani, Leonardo,
51th annual SATA (Subsonic Aerodynamic Testing Association) meeting, Newport News, 2015.