The Competence Center Biocatalysis (CCBIO) at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW) connects relevant research competencies to facilitate the transfer of biocatalytic approaches from the laboratory bench to industrial application.
The Competence Center of Biocatalysis (CCBIO) was founded in January 2016 and is led by Dr. Rebecca Buller, head of the Centre for Biocatalysis and Process Technology.
Within 2017 to 2020 CCBIO leads the network project «Innovation in Biocatalysis: A toolbox for sustainable bio-based production», a program supported by project contributions from the Swiss Higher Education Council.
The Competence Center for Biocatalysis (CCBIO) at the ZHAW promotes biocatalysis as a complementary method to classic organic synthesis and aims to help bridge the gap between academic laboratories and the production plant. By bundling the relevant research competences, CCBIO strives to develop a comprehensive biocatalytic toolbox consisting of enzyme libraries and methods which will facilitate the development of biocatalytic and biosynthetic processes for the chemical and pharmaceutical industry.
- Establish biocatalysis as an alternative to classical chemical synthesis
- Develop a comprehensive biocatalytic toolbox consisting of enzyme libraries and methods
- Facilitate the development of biocatalytic and biosynthetic processes for the chemical and pharmaceutical industry.
- Establish a national platform for scientific knowledge transfer and dialog for participants from industry and academia
- Strengthen the topic of biocatalysis within the teaching portfolio of Swiss Universities
The Competence Center for Biocatalysis (CCBIO) together with its members from the different academic institutions provides the necessary know how to solve specific biosynthetic problems together with industry.