Endowed Professorship for Industrial AI (Neuro-symbolic Learning & Reasoning)
With your proactive personality and excellence, you shape research and teaching in the field of neurosymbolic approaches for industrial applications internationally and form your environment in a lasting way.
School: School of Engineering
Starting date: 01. September 2023 or by arrangement - application deadline 31st January 2023
Research & Development: You shape an independent, method-oriented and applied agenda in research and development with national and international appeal that generates impact in the field of mechanical engineering. In terms of methodology, you are located in the field of neurosymbolic learning, i.e., the combination of machine learning methods such as neural networks with knowledge-based approaches and reasoning, to model processes in industrial production and their service based on data and knowledge. Teaching: You develop and teach basic and advanced modules in the bachelor's degree programmes in Computer Science and Data Science, at Master's and PhD level and/or in continuing education. Your outstanding teaching style continuously attracts excellent students to your research group.Leadership: You build up your own research group and lead it in terms of personnel and finances. Through successful funding acquisition (e.g., EU, Innosuisse, SNF) and as principal investigator you ensure sustainable growth. As a member of the centre management, you take responsibility for the management of activities at the CAI and take the initiative in specialist committees, associations and the public.
- We are looking for a dynamic personality with a lighthouse character and charisma who has an excellent international reputation in applied sciences.
- You have a university degree with a doctorate in computer science or a related field and have specialised in neurosymbolic approaches to artificial intelligence.
- In addition, you have acquired several years of professional experience in specialist and, preferably, management positions in industry, have a track record in the management of complex research projects and have an appropriate network in Switzerland and Europe.
- If the requirements are met, the award of the title of professor is ensured. The title is awarded by the UAS Council of the Canton of Zurich (?Fachhochschulrat").
- Experience in the field of public speaking and/or teaching/didactics and, potentially, in the development of teaching programmes is highly advantageous.
- We expect a high degree of independence and self-motivation, initiative and enthusiasm, enjoyment of challenging contemporary research questions and a customer- and results-oriented approach to work, as well as English and ideally written and spoken German.
- In return, we offer you a lot of freedom and the opportunity to jointly shape the young research centre in a leading role.
We are looking forward to recieve your application via online tool until 31st January 2023.
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
As one of the leading educational and research institutions in Switzerland, the School of Engineering (SoE) focuses on topics relevant to the future. 14 institutes and centres guarantee high-quality education, research and development with a focus on the areas of energy, mobility, information and health.
The Centre for Artificial Intelligence (CAI) maintains a growing number of research groups in the areas of Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision, Perception and Cognition, Autonomous Learning Systems, Trustworthy AI and AI Engineering (see our key areas of research). The CAI conducts method-oriented applied research and development at the highest level in the field of machine learning and is committed to a human-centred approach to artificial intelligence, which actively shapes the ethical dimension.
This position is established within the framework of the endowed professorship created by the Joh. Jacob Rieter Foundation and the Rieter Group. The professorship is independent from the benefactor, the freedom of research and teaching is fully granted.
We look forward to meeting you!
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte:
Head of Centre for Artificial Intelligence