Bioinformatician 100 %
The successful candidate will be part of our effort to establish bioinformatic workflows in enzyme engineering for the development of next-generation industrial biocatalysts.
School: Life Sciences und Facility Management
Starting date: 01.11.2022 or by arrangement
- Execution of innovative research projects in the field of industrial biocatalysis
- Application and development of novel methods to leverage protein structure data for enzyme engineering
- Implementing and utilizing state-of-the-art machine learning methods to gain insights from enzyme structure-activity relationships for improved experimental design
- Statistical analysis of enzyme engineering data to validate experimental quality
- Developing and expanding the relevant laboratory infrastructure
- PhD in bioinformatics, chemistry, biochemistry, computational biology, or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform independently at this level
- Working knowledge of state-of-the-art bioinformatics, computational biology, and protein/small molecules modeling tools
- Proficient in statistics and able to apply it to experimental design and analysis
- Experience in modeling, de novo prediction, visualization and analysis of protein structures, small molecule docking and molecular dynamics of protein/ small molecules
- Programming experience in Python, Perl, R and working knowledge of Rosetta or similar computational packages
- Experience and proven expertise in analysis of large datasets
- Experience in carrying out multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetic reconstruction, sequence similarity networks as well as processing, quality control and statistical analysis of internal and external biological data sets including Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data would be a plus
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
Around 1,800 students are currently enrolled at the School of Life sciences and facility Management, which has more than 600 employees. We offer seven Bachelor's and four Master's degree programmes, together with a wide range of continuing education courses.
The Institute for Chemistry and Biotechnology (ICBT) is one of the scientific institutes at the ZHAW. It conducts applied research on cutting-edge topics relating to health, chemistry, biotechnology and the environment - from antibiotic resistance and antiviral agents to microplastics and more sustainable chemical processes.
The Centre for Biocatalysis and Process Technology develops methods and processes along the biotechnological value chain: Our experts identify and optimize enzymatic and metal-organic catalysts and carry out the technical and biotechnological implementation of industrial processes for the production of high-value substances.
We offer you a challenging task in an inspiring working environment with a motivated, young team.
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte: