PhD Biocatalysis 100 %
The successful candidate will be part of our effort to harness enzyme engineering for the development of next-generation industrial biocatalysts.
School: Life Sciences und Facility Management
Starting date: 01.11.2022 or by arrangement
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to.
- Execution of innovative research projects in the field of biocatalysis and enzyme engineering
- Development and expansion of the state-of-the-art laboratory infrastructure
- Support in the acquisition and implementation of funded R&D projects with partners from industry and the public sector
- Academic degree (Master/Diplom) in molecular biology, biochemistry or chemistry
- Hands on working experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, enzymology, e.g., cloning & mutagenesis, production, and purification of recombinant enzymes from bacterial and yeast-based systems as well as the characterization of proteins' molecular properties and enzyme activity
- Expertise in state-of-the-art methods to engineer enzymes for improved stability, activity, and selectivity
- Competence in GC, HPLC and mass spectrometric method development, troubleshooting and data analysis
- Familiarity with high throughput approaches (hardware/ automation of protocols) would be a plus
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
Around 1,800 students are currently enrolled at the School of Life sciences and facility Management, which has more than 600 employees. We offer seven Bachelor's and four Master's degree programmes, together with a wide range of continuing education courses.
The Institute for Chemistry and Biotechnology (ICBT) is one of the scientific institutes at the ZHAW. It conducts applied research on cutting-edge topics relating to health, chemistry, biotechnology and the environment - from antibiotic resistance and antiviral agents to microplastics and more sustainable chemical processes.
The Centre for Biocatalysis and Process Technology develops methods and processes along the biotechnological value chain: Our experts identify and optimize enzymatic and metal-organic catalysts and carry out the technical and biotechnological implementation of industrial processes for the production of high-value substances.
We offer you a challenging task in an inspiring working environment with a motivated, young team.
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte: