Research Assistant in Continuum Computing for Smart IoT Applications 80 - 100%
Research Assistant in Continuum Computing (IoT applications, Edge/Cloud/Serverless software design, ML-based self-adaptation) linked with a cooperative doctorate (3-years PhD programme)
School: School of Engineering
Starting date: February 1st, 2023
Possible research and innovation fields include:
- Smart distributed applications experience for consumers based on IoT sensing, mobile devices and intelligent computing continuums
- Continuum-native data integration middleware with smart decisions such as prefetching, caching and differentiated service selection across edge, cloud and serverless resources
- Applicability of the results in smart shopping, smart mobility and smart agriculture among other future fields
Areas of responsibility will include:
- Contributing to the research and development activities in the above fields
- Collaboration to activities in R&D projects (Switzerland and EU), including travel and exchange stays when required by these projects
- Assistance to transfer of research results to enterprise contexts / SMEs
- Advice to students in projects and BSc/MSc theses
- Publication of results in journals and conferences
Applicants must have a Master's degree in computer science or a related field, and a desire to advance their education into a practice-oriented doctorate in distributed systems. The successful candidate has a strong theoretical knowledge and a passion for scientific work in the above-mentioned fields and a good command as well as a passion for programming and writing. Good communication skills in English are a prerequisite.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an understanding of the academic, industry, and technology landscape, identify unsolved problems and propose novel ideas for future activities. Particular emphasis is given to developing prototypes, experimenting hands-on with systems, and scientific evaluation and documentation of results.
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
As one of the leading Engineering Faculties in Switzerland, the ZHAW School of Engineering emphasizes topics which will be relevant in the future. Our 14 institutes and centers guarantee superior-quality education, research and development with an emphasis on the areas of energy, mobility, information and health.
The Institute of Applied Information Technology (InIT) in Winterthur has nationally and internationally recognized competencies in the areas of Human-Centered Computing, Intelligent Information Systems, Information Security, Distributed Systems, and Software Engineering. We research and develop innovative information technology, software systems, and services in cooperation with business and university partners.
In the research area of Distributed Systems, we address new concepts for modern applications built from distributed networked services and components. Besides the virtualization of resources, provisioning and operation of complex distributed applications, the focus is on applications that interact with the real world, particularly in the areas of robotics and logistics.
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte: