Faculty Position, Professor of Global Strategy & Leadership*; Academic Director, MBA Program
The ZHAW School of Management and Law invites applications for a senior faculty position, to take a leading role in the domain of global strategy and leadership, by committing to excellence in research, teaching and outreach. The role involves managerial responsibility as academic director of the School's new MBA program, as well as member of the Department's leadership team.
School: School of Management and Law
Starting date: December 2022 (or by mutual agreement)
- Shaping research, teaching and outreach agenda, and committing to impactful, high-quality research in the domain of strategy and leadership, with a focus on emerging issues in global business. Topics may include, but are not limited to, strategic management (e.g., strategy execution, microfoundations of strategy, demand side, strategy-as-practice), leadership and organizational behavior (e.g., leadership development, leading virtual teams, the future of work), or global aspects of strategy (e.g., the future of globalization, local vs. global business strategies, geopolitics in business, global supply chain management)
- Leading the School's efforts to launch a new English-language MBA program, including program design, marketing, stakeholder management and budget responsibility
- Developing and teaching core course in the MBA program, and engaging with the School's broader educational agenda (i.e., Bachelor, Master or executive education)
- Enhancing the pipeline of third-party funding with academic partners (e.g., Swiss National Science Foundation, Innosuisse, European Union)
- Collaborating with industry partners in joint research projects and executive education
- Contributing to culture and people development within the team and the department, actively participating in shaping and cultivating the academic environment of the School
- PhD in business, management or economics, ideally in the field of strategy, leadership, international business or organizational behavior
- Academic excellence, evidenced by publications in high-quality academic journals and practitioner outlets
- Proven track record in creating impact, evidenced by experience in executive education, industry, consulting or equivalent
- Significant experience in program directorship of full-time MBA, EMBA or equivalent programs in a business school environment
- Track record in successfully managing industry-academia collaboration, e.g., through joint research with corporate partners, or customized executive education
- Experience in teaching to different audiences, manifested through evaluations with consistently high ratings
- Evidence of thought leadership and a creative mindset in the context of the future of education
- Leadership skills, communication skills and entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent communication skills in English are essential; a good knowledge of German is a plus
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
The ZHAW School of Management and Law (SML) is one of the leading business schools in Switzerland with internationally recognized Bachelor's and Master's degree programs, as well as cooperative PhD programs and well-established life-long learning programs. As the first business school at a Swiss university of applied sciences, the SML meets the high standards of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Since 2020, the SML has been included in the Financial Times Ranking of the best European business schools. Our main principle, «Building Competence. Crossing Borders.» underpins the high quality of our educational programs and research and reflects our global mindset and aspirations. The School recently hosted the European Academy of Management (EURAM) Annual Conference in 2022.
The School's Department of International Business (DIB) has the following organizational units: The International Management Institute, the Center for Corporate Responsibility, the International Education team, as well as the International Development & Projects team. In addition to its main mission in research, teaching and outreach, the department is responsible for the School's internationalization activities and the strengthening of its networks of leading universities and corporate partners worldwide.
We offer an inspiring, dynamic, and collegial environment with a high degree of independence and many possibilities for creativity. In addition to competitive salary conditions, the School offers an excellent location on our Winterthur campus in the canton of Zurich, a «green garden» environment with high living standards and attractive connectivity for travel.
The ZHAW School of Management and Law is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We particularly encourage female and/or diverse candidates to apply.
*If the requirements are met, the title of Professor may be awarded through the Fachhochschulrat (Council of the Universities of Applied Sciences of the canton Zurich).
Interviews will start in September 2022, review of applications will continue after this date.
There will be an opportunity for informal conversations on this position at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management in Seattle, Washington, USA, August 5 - 9, 2022.
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte:
For expressions of interest, or confidential enquiries about the position, please contact: Professor Fredrik Hacklin
Associate Dean; Director, Department of International Business
For general information, please contact:
Senior Recruiting Manager