Lecturer in Aerodynamics and Aircraft Systems 80 - 100%
Would you like to make a contribution to sustainable aviation and advance the research of the Centre for Aviation, which is unique in Switzerland?
School: School of Engineering
Starting date: 1. September 2022 or subject to availability
In this role you are responsible for a team of research assistants and scientific research associates working in the field of Aerodynamics and Aircraft Systems. In addition to lecturing in the bachelor's degree programme in aviation, you will also work on interesting R&D projects in close collaboration with industry and with the authorities. In as much, this is a very versatile role that covers teaching, applied research and development, and consulting in Swiss unique Aviation Centre and Bachelors Degree Program.
In this role you will
- teach in the bachelor's degree programme in aviation in the courses Aerodynamics and Aircraft Systems
- are responsible for the development of the syllabus of your courses,
- supervise research projects, bachelor's theses, and master's theses,
- acquire research and consulting projects, funded by grants and industry contracts,
- manage the Aerodynamics team with a staff of six junior and senior researchers,
- manage and expand your industry and academic network both nationally and internationally.
- Master of science in engineering, with a PhD in Aerodynamics and Aircraft Systems or similar fields.
- At least five years work experience in aerospace engineering, preferably with industry experience.
- An international network.
- A proven track record in acquiring grants and industry projects, preferred in EU research projects on a national and international level, with project management experience.
- Competences in experimental Aerodynamics or related fields with scientific publications.
- Experience in teaching and supervision of students
- Open to work in an interdisciplinary environment, with the aim of contributing to clean aviation.
- Experience in leading a small group of researchers.
- Proficiency in English at CEFR C1 level (IELTS 7 or higher) and in German at CEFR B2 level (IELTS 5.5 or higher)
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
As one of the leading education and research institutions in Switzerland, the School of Engineering (SoE) focuses on topics relevant to the future. 14 institutes and centres guarantee high-quality education, research and development with a focus on the areas of energy, mobility, information and health.
The Centre for Aviation is the leading research centre for manned and unmanned aviation in Switzerland. The Centre for aviation is unique in Switzerland and enjoys an excellent reputation – both nationally and internationally.
The Centre for Aviation aims to make aviation safer, more efficient, and more sustainable. With its interdisciplinary outlook, the Centre for Aviation supports the national and European aviation industry in achieving the Zero Emissions targets. The bachelor's degree programme in aviation combines multiple technologies, methodologies, and disciplines in a fascinating and unique way – with a view to finding new and viable solutions to tackle the future challenges of aviation.
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte:
Prof. Dr. Michel Guillaume
Head of Centre for Aviation