Research Associate Molecular Biology 100 %
The successful candidate will be part of our effort to harness machine-learning driven enzyme engineering for the development of next-generation industrial biocatalysts.
School: Life Sciences und Facility Management
Starting date: 01.01.2022 or upon agreement
- Execution of enzyme engineering projects
- Generation and screening of enzyme variant libraries using state-of-the-art techniques
- Development and execution of enzymatic activity tests
- Maintenance of laboratories and instrumentation (such as FPLC, incubators, bioreactors, electrophoresis, PCR, and other laboratory equipment), procurement of consumables and chemicals
- Academic degree (Bachelor or Master/Diplom) in molecular biology, biochemistry or chemistry or an ap-prenticeship followed by several years of industrial experience in the relevant field
- Hands on working experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, enzymology, e.g., cloning & mutagene-sis, production, and purification of recombinant enzymes from bacterial and yeast-based systems as well as the characterization of proteins' molecular properties and enzyme activity
- Expertise in state-of-the-art methods to engineer enzymes for improved stability, activity, and selectivity
- Competence in GC, HPLC and mass spectrometric method development, troubleshooting and data analy-sis
- Familiarity with high throughput approaches (hardware/ automation of protocols) would be a plus
- We offer you a challenging task in an inspiring working environment with a motivated, multi-disciplinary team con-sisting of colleagues with a chemistry, biology or computational life sciences background.
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14'000 students and 3'400 faculty and staff.
Life Sciences and Facility Management: Study and research in Wädenswil: practical, creative, passionate and re-flective. Our expertise in life sciences and facility management in the areas of the environment, food and health en-ables us to make a vital contribution to solving social challenges and improving quality of life.
The Institute for Chemistry and Biotechnology (ICBT) is one of the scientific institutes at the ZHAW. It conducts ap-plied research on cutting-edge topics relating to health, chemistry, biotechnology, and the environment - from antibi-otic resistance and antiviral agents to microplastics and more sustainable chemical processes. The institute trains young people for the growing life sciences market in three bachelor's programmes and two master's courses.
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte:
Prof. Dr. Rebecca Buller
Head of Competence Center for Biocatalysis