Faculty Position, Professor of Business and Society*, Head of Research Lab
The ZHAW School of Management and Law invites applications for a senior faculty position in the field of business and society. By committing to excellence in research, teaching and outreach, the new faculty member will take a leading role in developing the agenda of ethical leadership and governance. The role involves managerial responsibility in building and managing a research lab.
School: School of Management and Law
Starting date: October 2021 (or by mutual agreement)
- Shaping research, teaching and outreach agenda, and committing to impactful, high-quality research at the intersection between business and society, with a focus on the fields of ethical leadership and governance. Topics may include, but are not limited to, ethics in relation to top management teams (e.g., governance in boards of directors/management teams, value/purpose-driven leadership), technology (e.g., AI, digitalization, social media), or emerging organizational practices (e.g., sustainable business conduct, social responsibility, the future workplace).
- Establishing and managing a new research center, including personnel and budget responsibility
- Enhancing the pipeline of third-party funding (e.g. grants and endowments) with academic and industry partners (e.g., Swiss National Science Foundation, Innosuisse, European Union)
- Collaborating with industry partners in joint research projects and executive education
- Engaging in educational agenda (teaching at Bachelor, Master, MBA, or executive education levels)
- Contributing to culture and people development within the team and the department, actively participating in shaping and cultivating the academic environment of the School
- PhD in business or management, ideally in the field of International Business, Business Ethics, Leadership or Organizational Behavior
- Academic expertise, evidenced by publications in relevant journals, in the field of business and society
- Proven track record in successfully managing industry-academia collaboration, e.g., through work with corporate partners on joint research projects or funding initiatives
- Experience in teaching to different audiences, manifested through evaluations with consistently high ratings
- Leadership skills, communication skills and entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent communication skills in English are essential; a good knowledge of German is a plus
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 13,000 students and 3,000 faculty and staff.
The ZHAW School of Management and Law (SML) is one of the leading business schools in Switzerland with internationally recognized Bachelor's and Master's degree programs, as well as cooperative PhD programs and well-established life-long learning programs. As the first business school at a Swiss university of applied sciences, the SML meets the high standards of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Since 2020, the SML has been included in the Financial Times Ranking of the best European business schools. Our main principle, "Building Competence. Crossing Borders." underpins the high quality of our educational programs and research and reflects our global mindset and aspirations. The SML will host the upcoming European Academy of Management (EURAM) Annual Conference in 2022.
The School's Department of International Business (AIB) has the following organizational units: The International Management Institute, the Center for Corporate Responsibility, the International Education team, as well as the International Development & Projects team. In addition to its main mission in research, teaching and outreach, the department is responsible for the School's internationalization activities and the strengthening of its networks of leading universities and corporate partners worldwide.
We offer an inspiring, dynamic, and collegial environment with a high degree of independence and many possibilities for creativity. In addition to competitive salary conditions, the department offers an excellent location on our Winterthur campus in the canton of Zurich, a "green garden" environment with high living standards and good connections.
*If the requirements are met, the title of Professor may be awarded through the Fachhochschulrat (Council of the Universities of Applied Sciences of the canton of Zurich).
Interviews will start in June 2021, review of applications will continue after this date.
Wir bieten hochschulgerechte Arbeits- und Anstellungsbedingungen und fördern aktiv die Personalentwicklung unserer Mitarbeitenden und Führungspersonen. Eine detaillierte Beschreibung der Vorteile finden Sie auf der Seite «Arbeiten an der ZHAW». Hier die wichtigsten Eckpunkte:
For expressions of interest, or confidential enquiries about the position, please contact:
Professor Fredrik Hacklin
Director, Department of International Business
For general information, please contact:
Senior Branding & Recruiting Manager